Monday, July 11, 2011

Elective Induction

I pity the women (including myself) who cannot go into labor on their own. Their water does not break, they do not maintain steady contractions and nothing seems to progress. I don't know what we would have done a hundred years ago. All of us probably died or could never have another baby. And because we can't go into labor on our own, we have to settle for inductions. But not just any inductions, either elective or medical.
Well, today, I was "scheduled" for an elective induction. Oh how lovely the thought. I called at 6am like they said and the charge nurse told me to be here by eight but if anything changed she would call me. We live about 30 minutes from the hospital so we had to leave by 7:30. 7:20 my phone rings. Unbelievable! Sure enough, things had changed and they couldn't have me come in. I cried. Cried because I hadn't wanted to schedule the induction to begin with. Cried because I had thought it was going to happen. Cried because now it was postponed. Cried because Zachary isn't here yet.
The charge nurse said she would call once she had spoken to the doctor on call.
Nothing.
I call at 9am.
New charge nurse. She says that she was going to call me back at 10 but now that I've called, I should just plan my day and not even think about having an induction today. Although the doctor did say that if they could get me in before 3pm there was a possibility we could still do it. She said she would call me back at noon to let me know where everything stood.
Nothing.
Finally by 2pm, I just called back and oh wow, what a coincidence, she was just going to call me! Right. She said that the doctor was going to be pulling my chart and looking at it and then giving me a call since there wasn't a way to get the induction done today.
I wait.
The doctor calls and says that we should schedule it for tomorrow. I in no way am doing that. I asked her if there was more of a chance that it would happen if we just waited until it was medically necessary because I just can't handle up in the air plans. Drives me nuts. I need to know for sure what is going on. And I don't think that's crazy when you have to consider the others involved - a husband that works, a sister-in-law that is going to watch the kids that day, a mom who will watch your kids until you are released, sisters and friends who want to be there - it's not just about me! So I said no to any other elective inductions and we will wait to see if I can make it to Friday when they HAVE to take me! :) Wicked laugh just now! She stated that she would have to see what the schedule looked like and she would call me back. And she did call back in a nice time. And I am scheduled for this Friday. I bumped some other poor woman who can't go into labor on her own from the schedule and she is going to be so disappointed to find out.
So yeah, this whole thing hinges on the fact now that Zach isn't going to arrive on his own.
Hmmmmmmm.......I wonder if that will happen now that I'm making him wait! :)

No comments: